May 22, 2018
2015-2016 USC Union Bulletin (Archived Copy) [Archived Catalog]
Organizational Leadership, B.A.
The Bachelor of Arts degree in Organizational Leadership (BOL) is only available to students on USC’s regional campuses or online through Palmetto College. It is designed for students who seek a baccalaureate degree with an applied focus on leadership and who want a solid professional foundation to enter the workforce. The degree allows students to gain the knowledge and skills to prepare them for leadership roles in a variety of community settings, including non-profit organizations, businesses, local government, and public agencies.
- Students will be able to demonstrate their knowledge of skills that make successful leaders in various organizational settings.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to write effective prose and/or develop and give a presentation in a professional setting.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to be educated and participatory citizens of South Carolina and explain how their academic training has prepared them to be active state citizens.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to apply classroom learning to real-world experience in the public or private sector.
Admission and Graduation Standards
Students may apply to the Organizational Leadership Program after completion of at least 45 semester hours of accredited, college-level work. A minimum grade point of 2.0 is required for admission and graduation. As part of the application process, a specific Program of Study is developed by the student and the student’s advisor and approved by the Program Committee. Any changes to the Program of Study must be approved by the advisor and Program Committee. All students must earn at least 30 USC hours after admission to this program. A minimum of 120 semester hours of accredited, college-level work must be presented to earn this degree.
Degree Requirements (120 Hours)
The Bachelor of Arts in Organizational Leadership (BOL) is designed for students who want to study organizational leadership without a major in a single discipline.
1. Carolina Core Plus General Education Requirements
CMW: Effective, Engaged, and Persuasive Communication: Writing (6 hours)
Must be passed with a grade of C or higher.
ARP: Analytical Reasoning and Problem-Solving (6-8 hours)
- Any approved Carolina Core ARP courses.
SCI: Scientific Literacy (8 Hours)
- Any approved Carolina Core SCI courses, must include two labs.
GFL: Global Citizenship and Multicultural Understanding: Communicate Effectively in More than One Language (0-9 Hours)
Demonstration of proficiency in one foreign language equivalent to the minimal passing grade on the exit examination in the 122 course is required. Students can demonstrate this proficiency by successfully completing Phase II of the Proficiency Test or by successfully completing the 122 course, including the exit exam administered as part of that course.
It is strongly recommended that students continuing the study of a foreign language begin college-level study of that language in their first semester and continue in that language until their particular foreign language requirement is completed.
GHS: Global Citizenship and Multicultural Understanding: Historical Thinking (6 hours)
- Any approved Carolina Core GHS courses.
GSS: Global Citizenship and Multicultural Understanding: Social Sciences (6 hours)
- Any approved Carolina Core GSS courses.
AIU: Aesthetic and Interpretive Understanding (3 hours)
- Any approved Carolina Core AIU course.
CMS: Effective, Engaged, and Persuasive Communication
INF: Information Literacy
- Any approved overlay or stand-alone Carolina Core INF course.
VSR: Values, Ethics, and Social Responsibility
- Any approved overlay or stand-alone Carolina Core VSR course.
Other Required General Education Courses for the BA in Organizational Leadership:
Additional Arts and Sciences Electives (6 Hours)
Must include two disciplines.
2. Professional Foundations (27-30 Hours)
*Grade of C or better required
**May substitute for ECON 221 and ECON 222
***May substitute for SOCY 220 (*unless it is used for general education requirements)
3. Integrative Major (33 Hours)
Select 33 credits from the following lists, with at least 9 credits from each of the three categories, and at least 12 credits at the 400 level. All grades must be C or better. No more than 15 hours combined from MGMT, ACCT, and ECON may be selected.
I. Employer and Employees
II. Law, Policy, and Organizations
4. Electives (6-19 Hours)